About the Department
ESOMAS: Department of Excellence (L. 232/2016)
The Department of Economic-Social and Mathematical-Statistical Sciences (ESOMAS) promotes an interdisciplinary perspective on the analysis of economic and social phenomena characterized by attention to quantitative aspects and stands out for its strong adherence to international best practices in research, teaching and third mission activities.
The department's development policy is based on three pillars:
- Strong international vocation
Many professors have a recognized international standing, previous work experience in the US and EU, regularly present their work abroad, are part of the editorial committees of international academic journals, and are members of prestigious research networks (CEPR, IZA, Netspar). Almost all of the levels II and III and part of the level I training offer is delivered in English.
- Synergical collaboration with Collegio Carlo Alberto (CCA)
ESOMAS is historically the department of the University of Turin most involved with the CCA. Numerous teachers have an active role in the management of the CCA or in activities such as the International Job Market and the organization of seminars and other events of international relevance (Pareto Lectures, Carlo Alberto Medal, International Festival of Economics).
- Meritocratic, international and gender-balanced recruitment
Over the past five years, the staff of ESOMAS has been enriched thanks to numerous international hiring. In the last five years 50% of the new RTDa and RTDb are female and in the last two years the percentage exceeds 70%.
The Department's training offer includes:
- the three-year degree program in Economics [L-33], with the third year in English. Starting from the academic year 2022-2023, the first and second year programs are split into both an Italian and an English channel, allowing the student a wide choice in the composition of the study plan in both languages.
- the master's degree program in Economics and Management [LM-56].
- two master's degree programs in English, Economics [LM-56] and Quantitative Finance and Insurance [LM-83].
The Department is also the reference department for the master's degree in Stochastics and Data Science [LM-40].
ESOMAS also provides three level I Masters in:
- Active Labor Services and Policies (in agreement with the Piemonte Lavoro Agency and SAA - School of Management);
- Public Procurement and Sustainable Development (in collaboration with ITC-ILO and Consip);
- Medical ethics, deontology, politics and health economics (in collaboration with the Turin Medical Association and CORIPE Piedmont);
And four level II Masters in:
- Welfare: Theoretical foundations and Data Analysis (in agreement with INPS and CCA),
- Finance, Insurance and Risk Management (in agreement with CCA),
- Insurance Innovation (in English, in agreement with CCA and Politecnico di Torino),
- Strategic Management of Health Authorities (in agreement with COREP).
Lastly, ESOMAS participates in the management of three Doctorates:
- “Vilfredo Pareto” Doctorate in Economics, where the involvement of the department is particularly marked;
- Industrial PhD in Modeling and Data Science;
- International PhD in Institutions, Economics and Law.
Among the strengths of the educational offer are the high percentage of courses taught in English, the number of visiting professors, the high percentage of students who complete their studies within the normal duration of the course, quickly finding an occupation and with a high level of overall satisfaction.
In the sphere of research ESOMAS stands out for:
- Impact on the scientific community through dissemination in the most highly visible journals at international level (see the “Publications” page). The scientific production of the department is growing strongly also thanks to the recent acquisitions of new staff.
- International openness: 60% of Area 13 teachers received a PhD abroad. Almost all teachers publish in English.
- Cross-curricula teachers: among the fifty-seven teachers in Area 13, sixteen belong to the mathematical-statistical area. The department also includes professors from other areas, for a total of sixty-nine professors and researchers.
- UnitoNews: The projects of the Departments of Excellence of the University of Turin (in Italian)
- UnitoNews: The Univerisity of Turin among the best in Italy (in Italian)
- The University Departments of Excellence on ANVUR website (in Italian)